Tuesday 12 March 2013

Ancillary Production - WIP Digipak Covers

So... over the last few weeks I've been working on the front and back covers of the digipak for my artist, and so far they're looking like this:



Yes, nine songs. But don't worry, Cerberus' Cry is one of those twenty minute epics which consists of a really loud overemphasised progression and the singer making "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh" screaming noises which will be referred to as one of the greatest songs ever for some reason. But I digress.

Whilst I'm going to ask for opinions from others about the covers before making final versions of these, I have my own analysis below -

Firstly, I'm quite satisfied with the "Hypnagogic Corruption" title itself for reasons I discussed here, though I'm thinking it'd look better if the text is aligned to be in line with the Dark Flame logo on the right. In all honesty I had intended for this to be the case from the get-go, but I kinda overlooked it before saving this version.

I quite like the logo itself - the glossy effect is one I've always loved using in Photoshop because I like the outcome - it's achieved by creating a circular selection, filling it in white, reducing the opacity and then cutting out an inverted selection of the text.

I'm not sold on the lighting on the back cover; it looks pretty awkward but nothing that the burn/dodge tools in PS can't fix. The back cover is also missing all the important copyright details (no copyright law in the universe is going to stop me!) and other small print details.

-HM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment